The AUN-TEPL thematic network under the ASEAN University Network (AUN) was established to foster collaboration amongst the ASEAN universities to improve student success through technology-enhanced personalised learning.
The thematic network is chaired by Singapore Management University (SMU), with Mahidol University and University of Malaya as co-leads.
The key thrusts of AUN-TEPL are to:
- Build capacity amongst participating universities through a series of symposiums
- Create a platform for universities to exchange educational tools and content
- Promote technology-enhanced personalised learning as an area for inter-university research collaboration
Through its 3 thrusts, the AUN-TEPL promotes the use of technology in establishing and enhancing personalised learning across the region via events, sharing community and other projects.
- AUN-TEPL Symposium
- The AUN-TEPL Symposium serves as an annual platform with the aim of bringing together like-minded educators from universities in the ASEAN region to share and discuss best practices in the use of technology to bring about personalised learning.
- The symposiums also aim to seek opportunities to collaborate in inter-university projects.
- The first AUN-TEPL Symposium was the Inaugural AUN-TEPL Symposium (Online), held virtually on 27th October 2020. The second symposium will be held on 12th November 2021.
- AUN-TEPL Webinar Series
- The AUN-TEPL Webinar Series serves as great opportunities for educators and experts to share their valuable knowledge, research and experiences on a range of topics in the TEPL domain.
- Sharing Community
- Partnering with MERLOT, AUN-TEPL has established a resource-sharing community as a platform for AUN-TEPL members to share, curate and exchange educational resources with the aim of improving student success through the propagation of TEPL approaches across universities.
- AUN-TEPL welcomes project proposals from interested parties who are seeking collaborators on projects within the range of topics related to the thematic network’s mission, and connect them to the right persons.
- As an example, the lead and co-leads of AUN-TEPL are currently working on a multiple-case study on the lessons learnt from online teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic at three South-East Asian Universities. This collaborative research project is foregrounded on how the use of technology and the kinds of institutional support provided during the pandemic influence personalised learning. This project commenced in October 2020 and is anticipated to complete by December 2022. The research team welcomes queries on this project from interested researchers.
Despite the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the AUN-TEPL has been actively maneuvering its operations around the circumstances to ensure that its mission to promote technology-enhanced personalised learning across ASEAN never stops.
For contact information, please see the list below:
In the next article, we will complete the series by looking back to all the AUN Thematic Networks as introduced in this series, and contemplate on the importance and impacts of these thematic networks to the AUN’s mission in improving ASEAN higher education.